Monday, May 6, 2013

Reporting From the Hospital


Before anyone gets excited/worried/whatever, the boys are not here yet.  I’m just spending the night in the hospital  for observation.  The last couple weeks have been tough, and every day seems to get worse.  I monitor my blood pressure daily, and it is slowly getting higher and higher.  I spent a few hours two weeks ago in labor & delivery triage getting monitored, and had the lovely experience of collecting my urine for 24 hours at home.  I go every week for Doppler checks to make sure the blood flow to the babies look good, and am scheduled for another growth scan on Friday.  But today my blood pressure was higher than it had been before, so I called the high risk nurse, and they told me to come to the hospital as soon as possible to get monitored.

I showed up, and about two hours later felt completely foolish.  I feel like I continue to cry wolf about my high blood pressure, and then nothing is really wrong.  So my doctor sat me down, telling me I officially have the diagnosis of pregnancy induced hypertension, and that now my threshold to come in is any number over 160/110 (either number higher than the threshold), instead of the previous threshold of 140/90.  She wanted me to take home another 24 hour urine jug, and was just waiting for the blood test results to send me home.  And then… the blood test results came in.  My creatinine levels are elevated, which can show impaired kidney function.  Sweet.  So my doc immediately changed her tune, and told me that I would be staying in the hospital for 24 hours to do the urine test, and repeat blood work, and 2 steroid shots, 24 hours apart, to help develop the boys’ lungs.  Even before the blood work came back, my doc told me she is pretty sure I will develop pre-eclampsia within the next two weeks or so.  Now, she’s testing to see if it has already happened.

So best case scenario, I get to leave the hospital tomorrow in the early evening, continue to monitor blood pressure, stay on modified bed rest, and try to get a few more weeks under my belt.  I think medium case scenario, I stay in the hospital for hospital bed rest, continue to get monitored, and if/when it gets bad, they’ll do a c-section.  Worst case is the results of the tests look really bad, and we do a c-section really soon, maybe tomorrow night…  Wow – that’s scary when I actually write it down.  I’m 33 weeks + 2 days today, so if I deliver tomorrow, we’re definitely looking at some significant NICU time. 

I’m amazingly calm right now, sitting in the hospital by myself.  Even when I spoke with the hubs, I never broke down or anything.  Right now I’m just hanging out in this hospital room by myself, bored out of my mind.  When was the last time I just hung out for 24 hours in bed, by myself, watching TV or reading?  Ever?  No toddler running around, no hubby to argue with about what to watch, no au pair to get to know, no laundry or anything to do!  This is so weird, I’m trying to enjoy the rest and relaxation, but it’s hard.  Is it wrong that I’m looking forward to the ambien my doc prescribed me for tonight???

Thank God my au pair is here.  She has been great.  It’s fun getting to know her, and she’s really good with Alex.  Between my hubs, my MIL and my au pair, I know that Alex will be taken care of, even if I have to spend a lot of time in the hospital.  Of course I miss her terribly.  If I have to stay here for awhile, I hope someone brings her to see me…  My little girl is now 18 months old, and I’m sure she doesn’t understand why Mama isn’t there tonight, and won’t be there in the morning.  My husband is changing his work schedule to go in later than normal, to work around the au pair’s schedule, so he can take care of Alex.  He really has been great, and I’m trying to show my appreciation.  Bed rest, even modified, has been tough.  I have such a hard time letting go of things around the house.  Everybody puts things in the “wrong” place, my husband leaves things all over – he just doesn’t see clutter on surfaces like I do, and it has been driving me nuts to have to rely on everybody else.  I know I need to get used to it – if I do go home tomorrow, I’m sure modified, or even more strict bed rest, will continue.  And when the boys are here and I bring them home, I’m going to need to rely on everybody else to keep the house running while I take care of them, but man is it hard to give up control.  And why is it easier to watch my MIL clean my house than my mom???  I’m almost 38 years old, you would think that I need to get over this.  But when my mom offers to go in my room to change my sheets and clean up, I cringe.  I’m immediately sent back to being a kid, getting yelled at by her because my room is a mess.  Ugh – I guess we never really grow up in certain respects…

Now I will go, just hanging out in this crazy bed that adjusts constantly so I’ll avoid bed sores – should make sleeping interesting.  Everybody has given me a hard time about choosing a hospital that is an hour away from home, when there are great delivery hospitals much closer to home.  But this place has either the best or 2nd best NICU in town, depending on what you read.  And I’m currently in an entire wing devoted to women on hospital bed rest.  Amazing really – it’s a whole high risk floor.  The only people on this floor are those on bed rest or moms that have given birth but their babies are in the NICU.  I can definitely tell this place is designed for me.  I had hoped to not need the rock star NICU or high risk services, but here I am.  I didn’t want to be here, but at least I’m in good hands.

19 comments:

  1. Sending good thoughts your way. I'm so glad you'll be getting the steroid shots, but I hope with all I've got you won't need to use them. Take care of yourself! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like everyone is in good hands! You, Alex, your boys... That said, I am of course hoping so hard that you get those few more weeks with the boys in your belly. And if you don't-- it'll be FINE. But I don't want you to have to be an NICU mom! Or not for long, anyway. I also wish that the circumstances were different and that you could enjoy your 'vacation'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad they are closely monitoring you! It's always better to be safe than sorry. You and the babies are in my thoughts and prayers daily! Lots of hugs & love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, thinking of you and sending tons of positive thoughts...keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are in a great head space right now and ready to tackle whatever the doctor tells you. I am having a really hard time accepting help too, but the fact that at 37 weeks we haven't even started working on the nursery has made me say yes to having our MIL come stay with us a few days or a friend come help clean out space in our basement for other things. People really are willing to help, we just need to accept it. Thinking of you and the babes and hope all is well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I hope that you get good news. Bed rest sucks and I did it when I didn't have a toddler, so I just can't imagine at all! I think you made the right choice on the hospital, they need to be prepared for whatever you and the boys throw at them!!!

    Hope they can stay cooking for a while longer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fingers crossed that you get 3 more weeks or so! If not, my twin nieces were 33w, spent 10 days in the NICU, and are perfectly fine, so I have full faith that the boys will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 33 weeks is an amazing point to be at for twinnies. You are awesome and have done a fabulous job as their mommy! Hang in there and post often. We love you XOXOXOXOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh Alex! Fingers crossed that those little ones stay in a bit longer. It sounds like, worst case scenario, though, they'll still be totally okay : ) I'm so excited to someday log on and see that you had your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you. I know how scary it is. And being in the hospital sucks. You've made it pretty far and your boys will most likely be very healthy. Praying you can eep them in a bit longer. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness - praying those babies get to cook for at least a few more weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get so crazy about clutter too and my husband doesn't understand! I know 33 weeks is still early, but that's a solid place to be. Hope you get a few more weeks, hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh mama, I hope those little guys hang in there and I hope bed rest is not too torturous. Try to enjoy, if that is at all even a little possible, the calm before the storm!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy you are in the right place to get great care for you and boys! So glad the au pair showed up just in time to get a bond going with Alex and be a huge help during this time. Lots of PTs coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad that you are getting the help you (and the family) need between the MIL, au pair and the L&D ward. While I"m excited to meet those little guys, I think we all agree we can wait a few more weeks. Rest up and I hope things work out for the best soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad that Alex is taken care of and so are you. Hope that you get good news on the results. You are doing amazing for your little ones right now, remember that! please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy to hear you are in good hands and that hubs is being great! I hope you can go home for more bed rest. Please update when you can. Sending prayers and thoughts to you, your boys, your Alex, and the hubs. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you're in good hands, and that the au pair seems to be a good fit and can take care of little Alex now! Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you and your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use donor eggs. I knew we have to try herbal made medicine. I was terrified. I didn't know how to go about it and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended me to Dr Itua herbal medicine in Western African. I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country and I was afraid with shame I must say I thought it was a little bit...wild? Anyway she convinced me to at least check it out. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses Natural Herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. I and My Husband give a try and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple. The doctors and staff were so confident and hopeful they projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua and Lori My Dear Friend. Don’t be afraid and just do it! Try Dr itua herbal medicine today and sees different in every situaton.Dr Itua Contact Info...Whatsapp+2348149277967/drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua have cure for the following diseases.All types of cancer,Liver/Kidney inflamatory,Fibroid,Infertility.Diabetes,Herpes Virus.

    ReplyDelete