The hubs, Alex and I were sitting having dinner last night –
all three of us! This rarely happens, as
usually hubs gets home from work right before bedtime. And usually we eat on the couch, watching
TV. But last night he was home early,
and dinner was actually ready at the same time Alex usually eats, so all of us
sat down to eat – it was fabulous. We
did something that normally happens over family dinners, but doesn’t happen
that often in our house – we talked. And
he brought up the next baby…
The plan was simple.
Wait until Alex was a year old, then head to the doctor’s office for a
FET. We are so lucky to have five
embryos on ice, waiting for us. We have
absolutely no interest in trying naturally for any extended time. I don’t want to take my temps or pee on
ovulation sticks or anything like that.
I don’t think my sanity can handle that part… So we had been operating under the plan to do
a FET around November, I guess. But we
never really discussed it. And then we
booked a cruise for December. I started
doing the math in my head about timing of cycles, and not really wanting to be
pregnant while on a cruise. And really
enjoying my time off of treatments, and pregnancy, and breastfeeding. And really enjoying my super easy baby, who
rarely gets up at night, and doesn’t make me exhausted. And I’ve been working hard at exercising, and
just signed up for an online boot camp program that starts Monday and lasts 8
weeks. (So far I’m 6 pounds under
pre-pregnancy weight, which was 18 pounds above wedding weight!) So I had decided that I wasn’t going to bring
it up. I know, super communicative, huh?
But then the Hubs said last night that he thinks we should
try to do a transfer in August or September.
Um, what??? He said it was
obviously up to me as it was my body, but he talked about wanting to just get
it done – move beyond this part of our life, which I completely
understand. And we’re talking about moving
to Colorado, and it would be easier to not have to worry about doing a FET in
Denver, transferring the embryos and all that.
We talked about it, and I told him I would think about it.
I have really liked having my break. Yes, we’ve been half-heartedly trying
naturally, but I would only have a couple days of anxiety each month, wondering
if I was pregnant. If I go back to the
clinic, and go through a FET, then it will be a huge deal again – all the
anxiety and worrying and stress. But I
know I have to do it at some point – I have lost all hope of conceiving
naturally. It would be nice to get it
over with. Because the next baby will be
it. No more, not going through this
again. In fact, I think I’ll get my
tubes tied during the c-section, if I’m so lucky to actually get pregnant. Not that I think I’ll ever get pregnant
naturally, but I want to eliminate the possibility so I don’t wonder every
month if it could happen.
I think it’s hilarious that hubs and I are planning this
out. Like we can just order it up at a
store, assuming the FET will work. “If
we do the FET in August or September, we could have a June baby!” It’s like we think we’re fertile, like we can
simply plan it out and it will happen.
How arrogant is this! How quickly
we forget that it may not work, and I might miscarry again. I told hubs that I would be much more willing
if we could just get a 5 month old baby, and not have to go through the
pregnancy and the early months of newborn again. Those were a bear! I actually really liked the pregnancy part,
except for the anxiety. I hated worrying
about my baby. I hope it will be easier
next time, if only because I’ll have the distraction of baby Alex. But who knows…
It seems quick, jumping back into this when Alex will be 9
or 10 months old, but I just want to be done.
I don’t want to do this anymore – this baby making thing. It would be nice to close this chapter, and
call our family complete. Because it’s
not yet. I love Alex, and if we had to
make it work, she would be enough. But I
really want a sibling for her. More than
anything, that is what is driving me – creating a sibling for Alex. I don’t know if there is an ideal time for
it, but it would be nice to just get it done.
And so, I think I’ll make that phone call to set up an appointment with
the doc…

