Friday, May 10, 2013

IUGR

It's official - we have a diagnosis of IUGR, Intrauterine Growth Restriction, for Twin A. I went in today for a growth scan, and I really wasn't expecting a great result. Over the last couple months, baby A has been falling on the growth scale - in fact, they both have been. 3 weeks ago, baby A was 10.8% of normal, and baby B was 20%. Today, baby A decreased even further to 4.5%, but baby B increased to 32%!  I was more surprised that baby B increased on the charts than that baby A decreased. They had both been steadily decreasing, but B not as high of a rate. 

With the diagnosis of IUGR, I start going to even more appointments: twice a week NST's, once per week dopplers. But no more growth scans. And a c-section on May 30, when I'll be 36w5d. My doc considers that close enough to 37 weeks, which is her ideal for IUGR situations. Any time I go in for these NSTs and dopplers, if anything looks bad, then they'll send me immediately to delivery. 

I guess they're trying to find the optimal time when it's better for twin A to be out than in. Over the next 3 weeks, they are both still growing, still gaining maturity in lungs and other functions, and the longer they can stay inside, the better their overall outcome will be. But only if they stay alive. 

That's the ultimate risk with IUGR babies. Something is not working, probably the placenta. For baby A, his placenta isn't doing a good job of transmitting nutrients and oxygen from my body to his. The dopplers, which measure blood flow through the umbilical cord, look good, and as long as that continues, he'll still get nutrients and continue to live. But it could stop. 

For the first time today my doc mentioned the risk of stillbirth, and it's really scary hearing that word. I think she was just trying to explain the whole situation, especially because my husband was at the appointment and he normally is not, but it's still an awful word to hear. What if after all this, after everything we've been through, we lose our little guy in the final three weeks??? 

I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude, trust the doc and her opinion, trust that she knows what she's doing and is doing the best for our boys, but part of me wishes we would deliver now. I can't help thinking that my body is failing little baby A, that he would be better in the NICU, where they could directly provide him with food and we would know he's getting nutrients, as opposed to this guessing game we play twice a week. 

Three more weeks. No more than three weeks, and I'll meet these little guys. I'm hoping they're both ok when we meet. I know that even when they're out, the little guy, baby A, may face some more difficulties, the kind that come with IUGR babies. I'm trying to stay away from the Internet, at least some, but it's hard. I just hope they'll both be okay. 

21 comments:

  1. Oh my, my heart is heavy for you tonight. I am so sorry you are dealing with so many scary unknowns. Praying hard (really, not just saying that) for you and your boys tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww sweetie, I'm sending all sorts of positive thoughts your way for healthy boys in 3 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking and praying for you and the boys

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this isn't the news you were hoping for. It is scary, but I guess you need to trust your dr that they do know what is best for all three of you. I had a friend with a similar situation. She was induced early and while the smaller twin struggled with some minor problems in the beginning she has since caught up to her twin and both are doing great. Hang in there. I'm thinking of you and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had IUGR with Oliver but we realised it at 36 weeks and a couple of days, there was no distress ever and my OB also thought it was better out than in at almost 37 weeks. I know it's scary, but you are closely monitored and it will be ok! Much love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can make it, Alex. Those tests are going to make sure that if anything looks amiss, a birthday will happen. I'm pulling for very heathy babies and mama and however that happens. Keep up your kick counts and trust your instinct. Much love and prayers from the misfit clan

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I can't help but notice it's May 11, 2013 (when I'm reading this). On May 11, 2012, I went for a checkup. I was 36w4d. It was a Friday. While we had been suspecting IUGR for a while now, it was officially confirmed and my doctor notified me I'd be delivering at 37w0d.

    I know you're not in the same situation, and may go much earlier than 37 weeks. But I wanted you to hear about an IUGR story that ended up with a happy ending : ) There are LOTS of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm praying for you and your babes. Just know that the doctor is doing what's best for your little ones. If she thought they'd be better out, she'd have delivered you by now. Any time they can safely spend inside is better in the long run. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying and hoping for an uneventful 3 weeks! Come on, baby A! Come on, baby B! You are doing great. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this but hoping very much that everything will turn out ok. It sounds like you have good doctoring there and they're going to be keeping close watch. Hang in here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Alex. Thinking many good thoughts for your little boys and you. It sounds like your doc is monitoring you well to give your babies the best conditions to grow healthy and strong. Hoping for a healthy 3 weeks for all 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no! Hang in there- all 3 of you! I'm hoping baby A has a great turn around in growth like B did. It seem that your Dr is taking every precaution to make sure that everyone is doing well and comes out of this as best as possible. I'll be thinking of you and your little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, I know this is scary, but it's great the docs are monitoring you closely and will get those babies out at the best time possible. I can't believe you'll be holding them in your arms sometime this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, shit. Reading the word 'stillbirth' made my heart plummet into my shoes. That's no word to just throw around! I am scared for you-- but I agree that you have to trust your doctor to know when the time is right for an eviction. You're in good hands, and I know that odds are stacked heavily on the side of everything coming out all right. Keep us posted!!! And wow, their birth date is coming right up!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh! I'm sorry you're going through this, it has to be really scary. Lots of PTs that your little ones cook for 3 more weeks and come out to a minimal NICU stay. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, hon. I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. I'm sending all my love and SO many grow vibes your way. It is all so scary. But, being so closely monitored is THE THING to do.

    Much, much love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thinking of you-it's so hard to hear negativity yet remain positive...stay strong...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh gosh Alex, I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending you strength and big squishy hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will keep you guys all in my prayers. I hope both babies will hang in there for three more weeks and baby A will keep fighting! It's a lot to take in and not be stressed over, but try and keep positive and have faith. Miracles happen everyday. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so late to comment, and I apologize! I just want you to know that I think about you every day, and hope you're doing well! I, for one, hope they deliver those boys soon just so this risk can be gone. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. For information on hair fall treatment and suggestions please visit at hair fall treatment gurgaon.

    ReplyDelete