I went in for the final monitoring before IUI’s this morning, my left ovary still doesn’t have anything substantial, and my right ovary has one follicle at 18 mm, one at 14 mm and one at 12 mm. The nurse said the 18 mm was ready, but the 14 mm & 12 mm is not. So here are the two possibilities:
1. Do one more night of stims, plus Ganirelix to suppress ovulation, then trigger tomorrow night and do the IUI’s on Sunday and Monday. Both of these would be using frozen sperm.
2. Don’t do any more stimming. Trigger tonight, go in tomorrow and Sunday for IUI’s. Tomorrow’s IUI would be with fresh sperm.
I prefer option 1. Yes, I know that the count and motility decreases when you freeze and thaw sperm, but it’s all about odds, right? I’d rather have two eggs ready to receive millions (even after freezing) of sperm rather than one egg. I’m currently waiting to hear from the doctor – I guess he gets to make the decision.
OK, just got the call. I love how everything gets all jacked up by the doctor, but I guess this makes sense. Do TWO more nights of stims plus Ganirelix tonight and tomorrow. Then trigger Sunday night and do the IUI’s on Monday and Tuesday. This means I have to go talk to my boss and tell him something about having to be gone Monday and Tuesday mornings – ugh. Anyway, we’re sacrificing the one follicle that is currently at 18, as it will likely be too big on Monday. And hopefully by Monday the two at 14 and 12 will be big enough to be ready. They wanted to increase the likelihood that I’ll have two follicles ready that are about the same size. So two more nights of 3 shots each (Gonal-F, Ganirelix and Lovenox – hate that Lovenox…) and then Sunday night the trigger and Lovenox, plus start the Medrol on Sunday. And then Monday until 6 weeks after delivery do Lovenox (seriously, why do they make the one that I have to keep doing for a long time so freakin’ painful!!!). Start progesterone suppositories on Friday, and then a positive beta (look at me with my positive attitude!) on 10/19.
Oh, and just to keep a record of my bloodwork, my Estradiol was 572, LH at 1.90, and Progesterone at 1.67. So this looks good – Estradiol keeps rising, and the LH and Progesterone still low appropriately. Thanks, Ganirelix!
I was really looking forward to doing the IUI’s this weekend instead of missing work, as it’s just so darn awkward. But oh well. I would feel better about the plan, if I didn’t have the sneaking suspicion that they’re f’ing with my IUI schedule because they don’t want to work the weekend… And I really wish that the hubs would be able to be there with me for at least one of the IUI’s, but he leaves tomorrow, and doesn’t get back until Tuesday afternoon. Which sucks. But I’ve done these IUI’s alone before – I can do it again.
Oh wait, one more thing – I have amazing news that I have to share. As I’ve shared before, I have a friend who was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer at the beginning of the summer. She had a 5 cm tumor in her breast, and some breast cancer in her vertebrae. She was not given a great prognosis – the doctor didn’t even want to do a mastectomy because the surgery would be too much, and they wanted to focus on her quality of life. Well, she went through 12 weeks of chemotherapy, and then she just had a bunch of tests done to see if anything changed. The tumor is half the size as it was in June!!! AND they didn’t find any evidence of cancer in her breast or her vertebrae!!! Amazing, just amazing. They’re now scheduling a mastectomy, and will continue chemo. She is no by no means out of the woods, but they didn’t even think the chemo would do much! I’m so excited for her, and her husband. Just puts it all in perspective, doesn’t it.