To start out, the hysteroscopy went well. They didn’t find anything (yay!) and the worst part was having to go without eating or drinking until the actual procedure, which was about 1:00 pm. Oh, and I’m now classified as a “hard stick” when it comes to IV’s. They kept complaining that I was so dehydrated. Of course – I couldn’t have anything to drink! But we were out of there by about 2:30, and I got to eat then. It’s like super drunk eating – yum, can’t really taste it, not that hungry but I’ll still eat anyway. Went home and slept if off. Got up for about an hour last night, then back to bed, and today I feel like a champ. I’m a little crampy, but not much. And I’m not groggy or anything. I have a little spotting, but it’s not bad either. Thanks to everyone for your well wishes and advice – I really appreciate it!
My MIL has been great. She was so sweet, and helpful. I went to pick her up Monday night (the hubs had to get up early the next morning, so I volunteered to pick her up). She got in the car, and promptly asked me what was going on. She had no idea what I was actually having done, all she knew is her son called her and asked her to come down and help, and she said yes. She was so funny, “so why am I here?” I explained to her everything, and she’s so horrified at all the procedures and medications and everything, but very supportive. Finally she worked up the courage to ask me a question. She was stumbling letting it out, but I finally said, “Let me summarize what I think you are asking. You want to make sure that your son isn’t pressuring me into doing something I don’t want to do. It’s my body, and this involves a lot of procedures, and complicated stuff, and injections, appointments and so on. And you want to make sure that your son isn’t the only one that wants to do this, especially considering that it’s my body that will have to go through all this. And that you know that I’m adopted, so I probably would be fine with an adopted child. But the hubs isn’t, so maybe he wants a biological child more than me. But you want to make sure that I know that you would be happy with any kind of grandchild. Is that it?” And yes, that was it. I explained to her that the hubs and I made this decision together, that I personally have a huge desire for a biological child, or at least I’m not ready to move on until I’ve exhausted all options. She was so happy to hear that I want to do all this. I can’t believe how lucky I am to have her as my MIL.
She even wanted to go to my teaching appointment with me. We went to the clinic this morning to learn about all the medications that I will be taking, and how to administer them. She was so overwhelmed and amazed. And then the nurse was explaining the calendar, and I finally asked about leaving town for Thanksgiving. I don’t know why I didn’t ask earlier, but it would have been fine with the IUI’s I’ve done. But it most certainly was not ok with the IVF procedure. The nurse was adamant that I either couldn’t leave town or had to push everything back a week. And so, we’re pushing everything back a week… All that means is I have to start BCP again, take them until Monday, and then next Friday while I’m in Colorado, I’ll start the meds. It’s really fine, doesn’t really delay much. So no big deal – look how good I’m being with changed schedules! This is usually not like me at all.
It’s actually good. We’re still waiting to find out our insurance group and ID numbers – I’m so frustrated that we’re still in this process. The company says we’re insured starting November 8, but they haven’t sent our info to the insurance company yet, so that company can’t recognize us! Hopefully by tomorrow – we’ll see. The other thing is I got my results for the NK cell testing back. Based on my rudimentary knowledge, they look fine. And I even sent them to Kristi, because with all her experience, she has unfortunately gained a lot of knowledge about NK cells. We agreed that they looked kind of fine, but of course Dr. Sher needs to interpret. Well, I just heard from Sher’s nurse that the NK cell results are “abnormal.” I got my consult with him moved up to this Friday, but it will definitely be interesting to see what he says, and what he recommends. And if he recommends any treatment, then I have to get my local doc to agree and prescribe that treatment for me! My understanding is any kind of treatment should be started 2 weeks before transfer, and that is currently scheduled for around December 11. So pushing the start of the IVF helps with that as well.
I’m a little frustrated with all the moving parts, but I’m very happy that my hysteroscopy results were great, and that we’re still moving forward. And I’ll still know by Christmas! On another note – do you think it will be too risky to fly at Christmas? We’re talking a 2 hour flight, just over the weekend. I asked the nurse today, and she said it should be fine. But will I be in that mode where I don’t want to leave my house? Seriously, will I be too nervous to fly? I flew during my last pregnancy, but of course we all know the end result… Oh God – I just looked at the dates. I don’t know why I never made this connection. I flew the weekend before I found out I had no heartbeat. I went to the doc on a Wednesday, saw and heard a super strong heartbeat, for the second week in a row. Then on Thursday, I got on a plane and came back on Sunday. Then on Tuesday, there was no heartbeat. Oh shit. I know it shouldn’t mean anything, or at least I think I know. But now how do I get on a plane knowing this in early pregnancy? Of course, I’m assuming I’ll get pregnant. Oh the rollercoaster and I haven’t even started…