Thanks to everyone for their wonderful comments. You have successfully talked me off the ledge. I'm feeling much better today than I did Friday when I first got the news about my activated NK cells. I don't know if you guys have picked up on this yet, but I really hate it when plans change. I am a freak with my calendar. And especially with infertility, I've become so obsessed with knowing when everything is going to happen, and understanding all the steps. Partially because going through all the details and THE PLAN (yes, it always is capitalized in my head) helps me feel more in control of something, even when I am definitely not! And when I receive such huge reminders that there are things out there that can totally derail THE PLAN, or at least push it over to a different track, I don't take this very well.
So the current plan is: call my local doc first thing tomorrow morning. If the following things happen, we will go forward with the current IVF: (a) he can see me tomorrow (he's never been able to see me without about two weeks notice, but I'm not sure how much begging one of the nurses will work), (b) he has treated patients for NK cells with intralipids and steroids before, (c) he is willing to treat me with this treatment etc. as soon as possible, and (d) he orders the DQ alpha test ASAP. If all this can be done - tomorrow - then I think we're willing to try our chances with the DQ alpha thing, as most of the treatments are similar to the NK cell thing, except they continue while pregnancy - I think. I'm not that familiar with this, and I'm having a hard time finding information. Hopefully local doc will know something about this. If he doesn't know much about it, and is not willing to work directly with Sher, and all the above things don't happen - tomorrow - then we'll cancel our IVF that's supposed to happen in a few days... We need to get everything done on Monday, as we need to order all the meds from pharmacies and get them through insurance, and I leave town on Wednesday! I think the chance of us starting IVF this week is about 5%...
I haven't been able to convince the hubs that if all things don't go well with local doc this week, that I want to move on to do the IVF with Sher in Vegas in either January or March, depending on whether I can convince my boss that I can be away for two weeks during a super busy time in January. The hubs keeps saying, "let's talk to local doc first." And so I'm trying to be patient with him, and let him come to those conclusions in his own time... So hard!
Although I'm very upset with the change in timing, I think it's very good that we now know this information about NK cells. I am a firm believer in the immunology aspect of reproductive medicine, and I'm not willing to move forward with IVF without these additional treatments. It's not worth it - both with the money, and the emotions involved in losing a baby vs. waiting to start IVF. Once I started thinking about it like that, I became a lot calmer. And all of you really helped me - so much! It helps to have infertile friends like you, always in my corner. Whether it's virtual hugs, advice or real information, I can definitely count on all of you - thank you!!!