Thursday, May 13, 2010

Told the Hubs!

The Hubs finally got home last night after his trip, and as soon as he got in the door, I gave him his gift. Here’s a pic of the things I gave him:



He opened the first item – the Daddy’s Little Tax Deduction onesie, and just looked confused. Then I shouted “I’m pregnant.” He was surprised, because he had told me to wait until today’s blood test, but seriously, does he know me? Why would I wait, just because he said I should??? I had envisioned the two of us jumping up and down or something in excitement, but I think in my head, he was a thirteen year old girl, and I forgot that he is a reasonable, pragmatic kind of guy. For once in our lives, I’m now the optimist and he’s the pessimist. He kept saying, “It’s too early to get excited.” Which he’s right of course, but I really want to be positive about this! I really feel much better about this than I did the last one, simply because of the date the HPT went positive!!! So I’ve decided I’m going to continue to be positive, and he can do the worrying for both of us.

But of course, what he said has sunk in a little, and now I’m worrying… a bit. I really hope the beta numbers come back today super high…

Oh, and how am I going to make it through this weekend? We’re leaving this afternoon for Denver to see our family and friends, and we have events scheduled every day – at bars! Normally I partake in the beverages just as much as anyone, so it will be interesting trying to hide the fact that I’m not drinking. I need to come up with a good excuse – any suggestions? The Hubs is definitely not ready to tell anyone, but if it were up to me, I’d yell it to all my friends! Maybe it’s a good thing he’s being a pessimist… Although, I’d be willing to bet a LOT of money that he will tell someone, like his BF, or his mother, this weekend.

9 comments:

  1. Just tell them you are on antibiotics. Easy way to explain the drinking. Congrats again. I think hubby is just being cautious. Can't blame him, but you keep on doing your happy dances! You are pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay positive girly, it got you this far :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the antibiotics excuse A LOT! Also, I used to send my hubby to the bar when no one was around to get me virgin drinks. Cranberry juice looks like cranberry and vodka, Tomato juice looks like a bloody mary, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy this happy time! I've always thought I would keep a BFP a secret until I hit the famed 12 weeks, but I have a feeling that DH and I would be hoarse from telling so many people right from the get go. :-) It's hard to hide that kind of happiness. And yes, antibiotics is a good choice for an excuse and so are the virgin drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute stuff!

    I understand your husband's position, but I definitely think you need to cherish this happiness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree on sending the hubs to get you drinks. TH likes to feed me extra special diet Cokes. ;) Let's be honest, if I'm going to be the only sober one, I'm going to enjoy a little caffeine while I'm at it!

    Shirley Temples are great, too. They looked like mixed drinks and make you feel like you've got something special in there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your hubs is wise not to want to tell everyone yet, if for no other reason than that sometimes other people get weird if you tell them you're pregnant so early on, especially if they've had miscarriages or other painful experiences (like infertility). But you have no reason to actually be worried, as you've never had a miscarriage before, just an ectopic, right? And this one definitely seems for real.

    As for the drinks, you could send your hubs to get pseudo-cocktails, or cokes that you could have rum in (but don't), etc. Or order them yourself when no one else can hear you order :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband had the same reaction. I wanted him to be excited, he was just very stoic and "I won't be excited until after the beta." Then it was "I won't be excited until after the second beta." Then "well, we need to wait until the third beta." And, now, "I won't get excited until we see the h/b." It keeps making me more nervous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What amazing beta numbers!! I hope they keep on getting higher and higher.

    ReplyDelete